Friday, December 14, 2012


4   


TRAGEDY TURNS TO GLORY

   

A comic reader's favorite day of the week is Wednesday because that's when new comic books hit the shelves, but yesterday didn't start off well.  I woke up with terrible nausea and my breathing was the worst it's been since I was hospitalized for it almost a year ago.  I have effective nausea medicine, somewhat effective steroids for breathing, and powerful pain medication, but not being able to hold down any pills left me unable to breathe comfortably and in terrible pain.  I needed to go to the hospital.   Having a breathing problem getting progressively worse day by day, and nausea preventing me from medicating myself, I knew I needed to go to the hospital.  The best way to really demonstrate how sick I felt is to point out that instead of having my father bring me to get my new comics, I asked him to bring me straight to the hospital, where I expected to stay overnite.

Enough about the horrible first half of my day.  The hospital did what hospitals do and fixed me up and my Nurse was very friendly.  Once I was feeling well and we realized that I may not be staying overnite after all, my dad,who had been reading this blog on his phone, asked me how close we were to the shop where my comic book was waiting for me(I owed $70..I had $30 down on it.  If you didn't know that, read the older posts!).  It was a really nice thought on his part because he had already driven me all the way there, pushed me in a wheelchair, and was about have to drive me home too, but I didn't have the money so I had to say no to the offer.  Then he offered to front me the money.  I declined, but then he pointed out that when I had the money, he wasn't necessarily going to be wanting to drive me back to the Boston area.. so it was an offer I couldn't refuse.  Thanks to my Dad, I'm now the proud owner of a comic that one week ago I never thought I'd have.

So here's the short version
Comic shop: New England Comics.. Quincy, MA

Issue found: Ultimate Spider-Man #1 First Printing, October 2000
Paid: $100
Total cost of adventure thus far: $135.50

As far as I can tell the only flaw is a tiny bit of blunting on the bottom right corner.  It's almost invisible to the naked eye.  I'm not a grader so there could be other flaws..I'm not too concerned about it.  I'm never gonna sell it.

As promised, here are a few photos:





And as I promised, I'm not restricting the posts to USM.  Here are 2 more additions to my collection this week.

Left: Amazing Spider-Man #90, November 1970:The Death of Captain Stacy.  My grade: 7.5
Right: Peter Panzerfaust #1 First Printing, February 2012: The Great Escape Part 1.
My grade: 9.8


Thanks for reading


No comments:

Post a Comment