Monday, December 10, 2012

2

   

A LOOK DOWN THE ROAD AHEAD

   
I started a thread on a comic book forum to get help determining if the issue I had put on hold was the real deal or just a reprint.  The low price and the perfect condition of the book made me suspicious.  Even at $100, the issue was way too cheap.

The first thing I found out was that there were 16 versions of Ultimate Spider-Man #1, and only 3 of them are the real deal.. and the rest are worth about $8.  I was nervous.. but with the help of another collector in that thread I was able to get some clear information on identifying a true first print.

I called up New England Comics, the shop I found the issue at, and asked the guy on the phone to take my issue out of the draw and answer a few questions.  The bar code was correct, the CCA seal was correct, and on the back was an ad for Gummy Savers, which only appeared on the true first print.

So now I know the copy I secured is legit.

When I knew that, I mentioned on the same thread that I was now planning to collect the rest of the series.  Actually, my exact quote was "Only 132 issues to go!"

Another collector recommended that I visit another forum where people often go and offer to sell their entire runs of the series.  I can appreciate his tip.. there are obvious advantages there.  I could have the full run by the end of next week, rather than possibly 10 years from now.. but the idea isn't for me. As I said before, the journey is it's own reward.  Furthermore, I've seen people offering to sell full runs, and I know that people don't spend 11 years collecting a comic to sell it for what it cost them.  I asked him what price they normally ask for.. and he told me just over a thousand.. which confirmed my suspicion.  And that would be a reasonable price to pay if I hated the time consuming and often disappointing process of tracking down comics.. but I don't.  I decided to set a goal.  I said I would collect the entire run for no more that $999.99.. but now I'm reassessing, and I think I can do it for significantly less.. largely due to the awesome deal I'm getting on #1.  Most sellers are adding $300-400 for that issue alone.

Ultimate Spider-Man volume 1 ran from 2000 to 2009
The series had 133 regular issues, 3 Annuals, and two additional issues titled "Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem" #1 and #2
A total of 138 issues.

"132 issues to go" was misleading.  I do have a few issues to start with.
At some point I bought requiem 1&2 for $4 each.
I bought Annual #1 and Annual #2 for $4 each.
I also got #36 and #106-110 for $3.25 each.
I put $30 down and owe $70 on number one.

So I've spent $65.50 and once I pay off #1 I'll be up to $135.50.  I expect the first 20 issues or so to be pricey.. maybe another $50 for 2 and 3 and then a decrease to around 10 slowly going down to about $3.25 by #20.

I'm taking $300 off of the initial goal I set and I'm gonna see if I can collect the whole series for under $700.

I'll be documenting it all here.. mostly for my own entertainment and reflection.. but hopefully a few people will find it interesting.

There'll be a post anytime I come across something interesting in addition to USM issues.. or any time I take a trip and fail miserably by finding nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment